Board Rats Board

News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: What's your job-career-profession?  (Read 39718 times)

Offline sarapals

• He's still wearing this shirt--2013!
    • View Profile
What's your job-career-profession?
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
O-F suggested I tell everyone about my job! (Thanks, O-F!)

I work as a lab technologist for the local health department (full-time, with benefits!) now that I've graduated from college (master's degree, yes)!!

Most of the time I am checking water samples--lots of that work with all the beaches, bays, rivers, water-wells in the area. When other areas get backed up, I work there as well--any infectious disease, animal testing, mold testing. It's surprising what gets brought in for testing.

I work with a great group, most have been enjoying their work for years.

Now, what does everyone else do?
"Long long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke..." (Longfellow & Sara Sidle, Ending Happy, 2007)

Offline Hooleo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's your job-career-profession?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
I am an administrative assistant and have been working at the same consulting firm now for 16 years (just had an anniversary).  I've been fortunate for the most part by having supervisors who recognize that I have a brain and can accomplish a lot more than making copies.  I have, over the years, done meeting planning for meetings here in DC, in Texas and Los Angeles.  I've worked at meetings in DC and Baltimore and had the pleasure of getting kudos - not just from our clients but also from the participants.  That was probably the best part of my job.  I've also become proficient in copy editing, which I actually enjoy doing. I guess the best part though is that the projects we work on are geared toward helping people make a better life - getting support from absent fathers, helping fathers find work and keep it so they can support their children, and all types of services for older people (which applies to me!).    As with any job, there have been some bad times.  2010 was a bad year due ot my company being bought by a huge company and making lots of changes  - none of them positive to my mind!  However, since then, things have settled down and our attention stays on our projects now.  Plus, the people I work with are great.  They were very supportive of me during the sickness years (2011-2013) and are still sympathetic to my inability to do some things.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; the pessimist fears this is true. (James Cabell, "The Silver Stallion")

CgrGrl

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
Librarian....I don't think that needs a whole lot of explanation.   ;D

Offline oldfanatic

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
CgrGrl - Not more explanation but I would be interested in more detail.  For instance, do you work with children? do you set up special programs for any age group?  do you assist with research?  These days it seems librarians do a lot more than check out books and restack the shelves.  Does your particular job require that you do anything else?  It may not but if it does, please tell us about it.                                                                                                             
Live well; laugh often; love much

Offline sarapals

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
CgrGrl--- librarians KNOW the secrets of the universe!!! Are you reference or cataloguing? Public, private, school or college? I'm always amazed at how hard it is to stump a librarian with a question on any topic!! If I'm ever in the cash cab, I want to be riding with a librarian!
"Long long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke..." (Longfellow & Sara Sidle, Ending Happy, 2007)

Nancy1

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »
I retired as a Vice President from a major Downtown Chicago Bank in March of 2009, after a 38 career there, following a significant downsizing during the economic downturn.   On the day my job was eliminated, so were the jobs of about 75 others.

At the time I left, I had 2 Teams (about 26 people) reporting to me in the Trust Department.  One Team handled Trust Administration for high net worth clients (those with $1 million or more of investment dollars) - we administered their trust, investment advisory and IRA accounts.   The other Team worked with our internal partners (Bankers, Portfolio Managers, Sales Professionals, etc.) to set up new accounts, collect assets and fund them, as well as close accounts that were being distributed due to death or transfer to another financial institution.

To this day, I have to admit that I still miss my co-workers (well, most of them anyway!) and Clients.  However, I DON'T miss the stress, the commute, the personnel issues associated with 26 direct reports, writing performance evaluations or having to meet budget/revenue goals year in and year out.

I've concluded that things work out the way they are meant to - while I wasn't thinking about leaving my job back in 2009, I now know that being job eliminated turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  These last 5 years have meant that I've been available to spend quality time with my now 94 year old mother, and that alone has been a wonderful gift.   

dyneemo

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Love reading about everyone's careers! It's so fascinating to read the descriptions and to understand what we all do every day :)

I am a Director of Food Safety, Quality Assurance & Regulatory Compliance-Corporate Operations for he food industry. It's a fun job but very busy and requires about 98% travel right now. Looking to downgrade to about 45% travel here soon! I deal with all kinds of things from basic food safety to complex bioterrorism (yes that exists in the food industry!) and food defense. It's a fun job and I love it, but about done with all the travel!!

CgrGrl

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
I'm sorry I didn't answer questions earlier.  LOL  I'm in circulation.  I deal with the patrons for both checking out/checking in and helping them with reference questions and reader's advisory.  I also make sure the building has all the supplies necessary.  I don't help a whole lot with children's programming, but I do assist adult programs.  I wouldn't want to do anything else.  I have a pretty good thing going.

Offline sarapals

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
Librarians are Generals in the War on Ignorance...as well as the secret masters of the universe.

curious jorja

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 05:45:39 PM »
Well, I'm finally back at the board after yet more surgery, so I thought I would put my 2 cents in (or is it 2 dollars now?). I'm a scientist.  I was Vice President of Research for National Patent in NYC and also President of my own research company for 15 years.  Now I'm retired and volunteering as Chairman of the Board for Center for Vocational Rehabilitation, the place where my son works.  It's been a great career because I got to do what I love and also travel a lot.  The best part - I could bring my kids! For the past 15 years I also helped my husband in his medical practice until we retired.  Now I'm very BORED!!! Thinking of starting a new career!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline oldfanatic

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
Good for you.  Well,, there's always plenty of volunteer work for willing hands.

Sorry to hear about further surgery.  Hope all is healing well.
Live well; laugh often; love much