Board Rats Board

News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: A Few Days with the Grissoms  (Read 41673 times)

Butterfly114

Re: A Few Days with the Grissoms
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »
The description of Williams birth was beautifully written, needed tissues for this one.  Can't wait for the other children to meet their new brother. 
Look forward to the next chapter, always sorry to know the end is near.

sixtyplus

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
A lovely chapter and again brilliant writing I'm sorry that its nearly done though  :)

trishj

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
Beautifully written, I knew she would get GILBERT in there somehow.  Look fordward to the next chapter even if it means an end to this story. 

Cgrn-wp

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »
Thanks for this very pleasant story, sarapals.  So, the second surprise was Greg?  A mixed blessing, I think.  This story makes you feel that you've had a wonderful Twix bar and you have another one in your pocket.  Perfect.

Thanks, Chris

Offline sarapals

• He's still wearing this shirt--2013!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
The last chapter of this story--thanks for reading! As always, we are working on two more right now.  With the end of the semester and a few beach days thrown in, it will be a week or so before the next one is finished!

Sara ached all over. But she was sitting up; she had walked around the room, and she was holding her son. Released tension she had not known she had let her breathe and smile and relax for the first time in weeks. The nuns had visited, all smiles and quiet voices, passing the little bundle wrapped in soft flannel from hand to hand.

She smiled as she cradled the baby, reflecting on the women?s visit. Why did all women coo at babies? How was maternal intuition turned on by a swaddled, button-nosed infant? Will was fascinating?as all her babies had been. His smooth skin and honey-colored hair made her believe that evolution was headed to greater good rather than random chaos.

This little guy slept and ate. Even with surgery, she had opted for rooming-in. She wanted to be able to reach out and touch this miniature form that had caused so much confusion, pain, and happiness. Grissom had stayed with them for twenty-four hours, but she sent him home. She trusted Greg, the women, but she wanted to hear from him that Eli, Bizzy, Annie and Ava were okay. She smiled?she had a family?two little boys as bookends, or, she giggled at her thought, a girly sandwich with the boys as bread.

Her ears picked up sounds through the door. Hospitals had certain sounds, usually hushed, moving equipment, adult voices, even on maternity floors. What she heard was none of those.

The door slowly moved; she heard whispers and a wave of air and smells entered the room. Her children had arrived?she gasped and covered her mouth. Twenty-four hours had passed in a flash, not many hours in a life-time, but twenty-four hours with Greg?no this was not just Greg?s influence, she thought. Lilly, the housekeeper, Sister Deborah, and the other women had not seen the sight that met her eyes.

Two small girls were dressed in the tackiest lime green and purple costumes Sara had ever seen. Maybe they were princesses or fairies or leprechauns?it was difficult to tell. Bizzy, had been transformed from a child into?dare she think it?a punk rocker?complete with green goop in her hair, shiny plastic loops around her neck, and patterned socks that looked like black boots.

Eli, her son who was always careful in how he dressed?an uncanny ability to keep his shirt tucked into his pants all day?stood in the door dressed in a fringed shirt, a cowboy hat, and the plastic marshmallow shooter stuck in his belt. The sound she had heard in the hallway before their appearance had been what was on his feet?cowboy boots clunking on tiled floors.

She glanced at the two men as a sudden shyness had overcome nearly everyone who stood in the doorway. The two little girls ran to their mother, stopping short of leaping into her lap. Wide eyes looked from her to the bundle in her arms. She waved for the others to join them and, instantly, four bodies jostled and squirmed to get close.

?You want to see your brother?? Sara asked as she unfolded the blanket that had the baby wrapped like a tortilla.

?We got presents for him.? This came from Bizzy.

?You did? That?s so sweet. What did you get??

A colorful shopping bag from a chain toy store appeared, providing a partial explanation for the dress of her children. Will was not the only one who got presents today. Four pairs of hands and the attentions of their owners turned to pulling objects from the bag. Sara looked up. Greg was holding a camera, recording every minute. Grissom stood to one side, grinning.

Presents appeared?a soft ball, a pair of socks, a cap, and a pacifier?in each hand. Annie held the pacifier, reluctant to part with something she had only recently given up.

?These are so perfect. I know you had a good time shopping! Are you being good to Uncle Greg??

Heads nodded. Eli said, ?Uncle Greg bought us what we wanted! I got boots and this hat!? Everyone was showing off their new clothes, a fairy wand, jangling bracelets, shiny green shoes, enough cheap trinkets to fill a good sized closet. Grissom took the baby, cradling it to his chest as naturally and carefully as he had once handled fragile insect specimens. Sara was amazed, once again, by the unconditional dedication of this man to his children. She could almost believe in the goodness of mankind, a godly plan set in motion when a man loved a woman.

The visit ended with kisses and an unwillingness to leave their mother until Greg mentioned their next stop. The new brother was forgotten as the rag-tag gaudy group left her room creating more noise in their wake than when they arrived.

Grissom returned shortly.

?You didn?t want to eat and play with the group?? She asked.

?No,? he said. ?I?d rather be placed on a rack than go there?Greg doesn?t care, he?ll eat anything. And he?ll give our children anything they want.?

She had moved back to the bed, thankful it was by choice but drained of energy beyond description. ?Wake me when Will wakes up. I need a nap.?

Grissom pulled a chair to her bedside. ?I?ll be here.? His hand found hers and he brought it to his lips.

?I?ve missed you,? she whispered.

He looked confused. ?I?ll stay.? He reached for a book.

A soft laugh came from Sara. ?I mean ?missed you? in the carnal way.?

His fingers opened the book, an enigmatic smile on his face. ?Woman, you?ve just had a baby, major surgery. Calm yourself, take a cold shower.? He heard her giggle.

?Read to me, Gil.?

?Days later, a small package arrived from Las Vegas addressed to Sara. She turned it over inspecting the wrapper as if it would provide a clue.

?Open it.? Grissom said as he held the baby in the crook of his elbow and passed a bowl of beans to one of the twins.

Calm had returned to his home. Sara had regained her strength. She looked well, laughed quickly, returned order to the house, and got him out the door with Eli every morning.

Her fingernail separated a pull-tab and she tugged it open. ?It?s from Greg?a book.? A slim volume fell into her hand. Her breath stopped. She opened the cover.

She read aloud, ?Dedicated to Sara and Gil, two people who taught me to fly.? A separate folded sheet of paper fell from the book.

Grissom picked it up and started to read as Sara turned pages of the book. ?Sara and Gil, My publisher thinks this might sell?the story of four children and a new brother and how they have fun with their wild uncle. You know how much I love all of you, especially Sara. Love, Greg.?

?Look, it?s a drawing of us at the hospital.? She turned a page and laughed. ?He even put in the swinging bed.? The book was no more than twenty pages, written in rhyme with a colorful drawing on each page. Children with similar hair and eyes to those around the table played across the pages, dressed in costumes that children love. The last page was a sketch of two adults, one holding a baby, and four children gathered on steps with flowers surrounding them. A brown dog sat in front of the family.

Later, when darkness had brought sleep to the children, Sara and Grissom lay on the porch bed listening to crickets and frogs, the soft snores of Eli and Will coming from the baby monitor.

The two were wrapped together in the intimate way of familiar lovers, but fully clothed. Sara?s fingers moved to the buttons of his shirt.

?It?s been a long time,? she whispered.

?Are you sure about this??

?Yes?as a matter of fact, ever since you had this bed built, I?ve thought about doing this very thing.?

He chuckled, a deep, rumbling from his chest that became a laugh as he rolled to face her. His hand had already found her waistband. ?Shed the outerwear, I?ll take care of the purple ones.? 

The End! Hope you enjoyed this one...until next time, happy tales!!
"Long long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke..." (Longfellow & Sara Sidle, Ending Happy, 2007)

sixtyplus

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
Great story girls cant wait for your next one  ;D ;D

Butterfly114

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »
Picturing the children with Uncle Greg in the store, and Sara's face when they walked in the room, wonderful.
For Greg to write that book, shows how much he loves that family (especially Sara).

Great writing sarapals, always look forward to the next.

(enjoy the beach!)

trishj

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »
Fantastic story excellently done as always.  Look fordward to the next one, enjoy your vacation.

GSRLOVER34

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
Great story! Loved it!

dyneemo

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2009, 01:21:55 AM »
To repeat myself: I love you, Sara pals  :-*

This was a wonderful feel-good story, thank you for sharing it to us. I want to read the childrens' book that Greg wrote :)

You girls are very talented; never forget that!

Billyjorja

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »
Totally agree with Dyneemo.

Can't wait for the next story.

Trish

Cgrn-wp

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
Very calming, very comforting, very sweet.  Thanks - learned something, too.